Tuesday, October 13, 2015

4 Tips to improve your Resume

These last few months have been spent taking classes at International Dermal Institute to prep myself to enter the working world of Esthetics and Skin Care.  It has been great to be able to take some classes without having to take off of work.  I'm just about ready to start sending out my applications and resume (I have just a couple more classes lined up that I'd like to take).  

Throughout this period I have been working on my resume, so I was happy to attend a Resume workshop at IDI.  I actually had a chance for a couple of recruiters to look at my resume and make some notes.  For those of you out there looking for a job let me share a few tips I learned. 

  • When you are applying online always be sure to include a cover letter, it's more necessary now than it used to be.  That being said, because you have the cover letter you no longer need the "objective" line on your resume.  
  • No need to add "References available upon request" as if you are filling out an application...you'll have your references listed anyway.
  • Send a thank you e-mail to your interviewer.  In the past I have sent a thank you card, but it was pointed out that sometimes the interviewer is pressed for time in making their hiring decisions and e-mail arrives faster. (You can still send a thank you card).  
  • If you are e-mailing a resume be sure to be specific in your subject line.  Include information like position you are seeking and location if applicable...Recruiters have a lot of e-mails that just say Resume...make yours stand out.
I hope these help you.  Hoping these tips help me too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!