Friday, July 3, 2015

Chocolate Chip Cookies: Happy America!


Prebaking  and all finished
Fireworks, picnics, beach days and BBQs: for however you choose to celebrate your 4th, may I suggest bringing along some cookies? 

I must first let you know that I make terrible chocolate chip cookies. Always have for some reason.  I can bake other things: cupcakes, brownies, and peanut butter cookies.  Something about chocolate chip cookies though...either to crispy or too flat...always a little burnt. No matter what I do, they always come out a little bit wrong, but I did not screw up this recipe...so there is hope for all of us.  Back in the bake sales days of my long ago daycare job there was the mom who made the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever...EVER.  These are not those, but they are tasty and they use Greek yogurt in them which I think is an interesting twist and if you happen to be on Weight Watchers they are 2 points per cookie.

Found on pinterest...came out pretty well, except first attempt yielded something more akin to cookie balls.  Note to self: maybe try flattening a little a la peanut butter cookies next time?

http://makingadifferencerescue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/July-5-pet-shelters.jpgChocolate Chip and Greek Yogurt Cookies
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used all all-purpose flour, it's what we had)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I just shook the shaker a time or two)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I don't like too many, I just gradually added mini chocolate chips till it felt right)

Oven to 375
Grease cookie sheets (I used parchment paper and lightly sprayed Trader Joe's Coconut Oil over it)
Cream brown sugar and butter, add in the yogurt and vanilla
Combine the dry ingredients and incorporate into the sugar/butter/yogurt/vanilla mixture
Add chocolate chips
Space 2 inches apart (they didn't spread too much, so you can probably get a few more cookies on there)
Bake 8-10 mins (Mine took the 10, and still came out chewy)
Cool for a minute and transfer to cookie rack

These stayed fresh and were gone in a few days.  They are not overly sweet, but still a treat.  I only bake about a dozen at a time and refrigerate the leftover dough in a sealed plastic container.

I got the original recipe from Shannon's Kitchen Creations here.

Have a happy and safe 4th (and don't forget to take care of your pets...my dog Mitch couldn't care less about noisy fireworks, but he doesn't always know how to dog).  Cheers all! 
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/d3/d3aaf33f16497c8e7e1b7a7da8c8b873958aa8f23a87b91f52fe057aa50c634c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!