Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Meatless Monday (on a Tuesday)...a Lentil Chili recipe

Yesterday (Monday) I was in Long Beach at the Esthetics trade show so when I got home I wasn't exactly in the mood to cook dinner.  Thanks to frozen pizza and premixed salads I was good to go.  Today though I cooked.  

I have a turkey chili recipe that I pulled from a Shape magazine a couple years ago...I always tweak it a bit based on what I have on hand because I always seem to leave something at the grocery store.  This time I switched out the turkey for lentils.  See below for a little cut and paste of the original recipe with my tweaks are highlighted (or click here for the recipe directly from Shape).  It came out really well and looked nice and colorful with the spinach/cilantro/tomatoes.  

Firehouse Turkey Chili from Shape Magazine minus the turkey
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large clove garlic, smashed  (I just used garlic powder)
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided (I chopped up cilantro, very fresh and tasty)
  • 1/2 pound ground turkey (subbed for Trader Joes' refrigerated lentils, 16oz)
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained 
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (skipped, didn't pick it up at store)
  • 1 cup carrot, diced (also forgotten at store...but I did use a couple of handfuls of chopped spinach that I wilted a bit in the pan first)
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • Salt to taste

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Toss in garlic and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
2. Add turkey and continue to cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook for 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, bell pepper, carrot, brown sugar, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of scallions.  (Cut the cooking time to 10mins because of the lentils and sprinkled some cilantro on top)

What's cooking with you this week? Man, I crack myself up sometimes.  Really though, I love Pinterest for recipes and the occasional health magazine (some of those recipes seem like a lot of work though); where do you get your recipes from? Anything you'd like to share?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!