Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A tasty dish: Corn Salad

The LA County Fair is in town, which I love...and there is so much that I love:
Ok, this wasn't at the Fair, you can't pet them there.
  • Farm animals and their BABIES
  • Budweiser Clydesdale Horses 
  • The Garden Railroad
  • The Table Settings competition 
  • Browsing the shopping areas
  • FOOD.  
Now I've been going to the fair ever since before I can remember.  I have some vague memories of a stroller and the Giant Slide.  In all the years that I've been going though I've never been to a BBQ Competition.  My friend's fiance entered a very tasty tri-tip sandwich with a spicy spread on a glazed donut, bacon chips, and a corn salad (he took home a Second Place Ribbon).

BAAAAAA!
I'm not a BBQ-er myself.  I enjoy the taste, but I'm just more of an indoor cook.  So of his menu I decided that I needed to come home and make some corn salad of my own.  I'm not one to make up a recipe from scratch either...but I can tweak a recipe like nobodies business, which is what I did with this recipe from Six Sisters' Stuff. My changes included adding spinach to the corn at the end of heating (because I have WAY too much spinach on hand right now).  Instead of mayonnaise I used some Vegenaise and plain Greek yogurt. I omit the jalapeno but doubled up on the cilantro.  I also went with fat free Feta crumbles.  Lastly, I used onion and garlic powder--because I'm lazy like that.  It came out fantastic!  I would never have even looked for a recipe like this if it weren't for the LA County Fair.  

Any county fair memories you'd like to share?  What's your favorite part?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!