Tuesday, May 19, 2015

living the dream, or how I quit a job

Remember when you were little and someone would say "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and their were endless possibilites?  I really wish I'd thought about that a little harder.


I recently quit my last job in a rather fabulous fashion...going out the way you see it in the movies.   I was only there three months, but it was a very long three months.  On a Tuesday morning I sat down with my manager and gave my notice.  True to her haughty nature she responded with "Well, I'm not surprised...I saw this coming." and we went about out day in a polite but very awkward way.  Her response really irked me though...like a lot.  Why should I give her two weeks?  She was prepared for me to leave, right?

The next morning I sat at my desk when she came in with a stack of things for me to work on for the next two weeks.  In that moment, I knew I'd had enough.  I looked her in the face and said "No, I think I'm going to finish up what I already have here and call it a day."  She nearly blew a fuse! "WHAT!?...You're leaving right now? You're just going to walk out the door??!!"  Now, that is not what I had planned mind you, I was going to finish out the day and make sure my desk was clear...but suddenly something snapped and I said "Okay." and began shutting down my computer right then and there.  It felt glorious.

Life really is too short to be unhappy.  I may struggle through the occasional bouts with depression, I may need to sometimes check in with a therapist but I will not suffer day in and day out in a job that makes me miserable.  I am not sure what is next (I didn't actually have anything lined up - job wise); I'm just taking this one day at a time.

Any words of wisdom out there?  I'd love to hear from you.
Cheers ~ Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!