Thursday, July 3, 2014

a visit with the doctor

Sometimes I read articles about how to get more time with your doctor, what questions to ask and whatnot.  I've never had an issue with this myself.  My doctor remembers the specifics of my life, and always wants to make sure all my questions/thoughts/concerns are answered.  This week we did the yearly checkup...and boy did she really get me thinking.

She asked about my eating habits: breakfast: in the car on the way to work (sometimes drive thru, sometimes just coffee), lunch: either at my desk or in the car (usually take out), and dinner: snack food/sometimes a salad.

She asked about my exercise: I aim for Pilates and Dance class every week...but often miss one (this week both). I miss because I can't seem to get out of work in time, no matter what time I start my day. I know I should exercise more, but after a long day where do you find the energy? (Seriously though, if you have suggestions--I'd love to hear them!)

Then my doctor asked how work was going...and I told her.  Technically and paperwork speaking I have two jobs.  I work for two companies in one office.  I regularly work 8 1/2 to 9 hours a day. The other day I was there from 7am-7pm...with no overtime (because two jobs=two time cards).  She looked at me and said basically I am not benefiting from this kind of schedule, and that I could not keep it up; she said it's not good for me. Then she said something that has stuck with me all week, "you're being taken advantage of".
Wow.  I sat quietly and realized she was right.

Having to own up about yourself to a medical professional really makes you take a look at where you need to make some life changes.  It's one thing to discuss life's trials and tribulations with a friend over a glass of wine...but it's quite a different feeling when your sitting there in one of those backless gowns.  I need to find some inner strength to make some necessary changes.  Wish me luck.

What motivates you? Are there life changes you need to make too?  I'd like to hear from you.
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!